This citrus cake is perfect for spring and the upcoming summer months.
If you enjoyed this recipe, share your photos with us by tagging @AshfordCastle on Instagram.
- 225g butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g soft flour
- 10g baking powder
- 4 whole eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
For the syrup
- 100g caster sugar
- 200g water
- Juice two lemons
- 1 lemon rind
- ½ vanilla pod
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Place the zest into the sugar, mix and leave to rest for 10 minutes. (This allows the oils
to infuse in the sugar and the aroma to develop).
- Place the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed until the mixture is
creamed, light and fluffy.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder together.
- Add the flour slowly in three parts. Continue to mix at a low speed.
- Add the eggs to the mixture, one at a time.
- Mix for 4 -5 minutes to ensure the mixture is fully incorporated.
- Line your tin with parchment paper and place the mixture into your tin, spread evenly
using a pallet knife or the back of a spoon.
- Place in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Check that your cake is cooked by inserting a skewer and it comes out clean.
- While your cake is cooking prepare your syrup. Place the sugar, water, lemon rind and
vanilla into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Set aside.
- When your cake is cooked, remove it from the oven.
- Leave the cake in the tin – brush the top with your syrup.
- Repeat four times. Don’t pour in all the syrup.
Ready to serve and enjoy!