A standout on the menu at bbar, our sister bar and restaurant here on Buckingham Palace Road, the 'Son of a Gun' burger is a guest and staff favourite. Filled with tasty buttermilk chicken, complemented with a spicy coleslaw and your choice of fries, guests sing its praises and you can now enjoy this restaurant favourite from the comfort of your own home.
If you enjoyed following the recipe below, we would love you to share your pictures with us, tagging @bbarlondon on your Instagram post.
This recipe makes 4 servings.
- Cabbage slaw
- 4 cups of thinly sliced cabbage
- 100ml of pickles liquid/juice
- Salt, white pepper, sugar, dash of white vinegar to taste
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, halved crosswise
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Peanut or vegetable oil
- 4 white brioche sandwich buns
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 tablespoons of Louisiana hot pepper sauce to use on each side of the bun
- 16 slices of jalapeños
- 16 slices of pickles
- Whisk the flour, pepper and salt in a shallow bowl.
- Pour buttermilk into another shallow bowl.
- Place 50% of the panko breadcrumbs and 50% of the flour mix into another shallow bowl.
- Working with one piece at a time, dredge chicken in the flour mixture shaking off excess.
- Then dip the chicken in buttermilk, allowing excess to drip back into bowl and coat in the panko breadcrumbs and flour mix.
- Pour oil into a large heavy skillet to a depth of ½”. Heat over medium heat to 350°.
- Fry chicken until golden brown and cooked through (roughly 3 minutes per side). Transfer to a wire rack set inside a baking sheet; season with salt.
- Spread cut sides of buns with butter.
- Heat another large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, toast buttered buns side down until browned and crisp, about 1 minute.
- Spread your buns with the garnish and build the sandwich with chicken and the cabbage slaw.